What is Dyslexia?
According to the International Dyslexia Association (IDA), Dyslexia is “characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities.”
How to find out if your child has dyslexia?
Psychoeducational testing can be completed to determine your child’s performance, compared to other same-aged peers, in areas of reading and writing tasks. Testing for dyslexia will likely include an evaluation of your child’s phonological awareness, decoding, spelling, and comprehension skills.
What’s the best way to support your child in reading?
The most effective reading interventions are those that follow a Structured Literacy approach. Structured Literacy is the approach endorsed by the International Dyslexia Association’s Board of Directors.
Structured Literacy has been found to be effective for ALL students, including those with dyslexia, those who are learning to read, and those who are struggling to read.
What makes Foundations Pediatrics different from other tutoring places?
At Foundations Pediatrics, we offer individual tutoring using research-based interventions. The following programs are used:
- Barton Reading and Spelling system. Barton Reading and Spelling System is an Orton-Gillingham and Structured Literacy approach. Florida Center for Reading Research published a report on the effectiveness of the Barton Reading & Spelling System on their website. To read their report, click here.
- Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing Program (LiPS) for Reading, Spelling, and Speech used for children who need more specific intervention with decoding and phonics. Click here for a review of the studies proving positive effects of this intervention.
- NanciBell Visualizing and Verbalizing Program for those children who have more difficulties understanding what they read. Click here for Florida Center for Reading Research’s report on this program.
Signs and Symptoms of Dyslexia
Does your child:
- Read slowly?
- Read below grade level?
- Require extra help in school because of problems in reading and spelling?
- Have difficulty sounding out words?
- Confuse letters that look similar?